Friday, September 7, 2012

The Island of Madeira: Funchal, Portugal


A photo of the pool area last night as we headed to our rooms.

It sounds bourgeois to say, I suppose, but at the end of these day-long excursions we feel completely exhausted.  Each afternoon or evening I find Carrie passed out on the bed and unmovable. So our day at sea, yesterday, was much needed.  I don’t have much in the way of photos, because I would have felt a bit like a voyeur walking around the pool area taking photos of people relaxing.  I think we can all agree that I made the right choice to just relax with family in the hot tub and leaving the photo-taking for today :-)


 




I did get some photos during the cooking class we took in the late morning.  We enjoyed spending time with Jonathan and Camille Justus and the Sea Bass dish was Dee-lish.

Although this pic was taken in the afternoon, but you
can see what we woke up to!

Today we woke to our morning room service at 7:15 am and, like each morning had breakfast on our deck.  This morning, though, as we drew back the curtains, we were greeted by the beautiful sight of Madeira.  Madeira is a beautiful island which a very interesting colonial history, but I will let wikipedia educate any who are interested in that.  For me, the sight from our deck was worth the trip.  We came into the port of Funchal (pronounced: foon chow, and it means “lots of fennel” because that is what the Portuguese found here when they came to the island in the 15th century) and experienced great food; a powerful rum, lemon juice, honey drink; and beautiful sights.  I highly recommend the island of Madeira for anyone who is traveling this part of the world.


the market at Funchal.



After our breakfast we went down to the lounge, since were were signed up for a cruise-line planned excursion.  We rode a bus in to a market. After a short explanation from a local guide about the purpose, history and future of the market, we went off in smaller groups and couples for shopping and sightseeing.  I was glad for this after feeling ‘herded,’ but with the loud noise and crowds, I was easily overwhelmed and worn-out.  Noise and crowds still take a lot out of me.  So after some time in the market I went off on my own to relax with a snack at a café.  Carrie joined me for a while and then we had to join back up with the group to head off to lunch.  Lunch was way up on a mountain overlooking the city at an estate / vineyard.  It was a wonderful lunch.
The view from the estate where we had lunch.

I didn’t mention that this excursion was part of “cruising with the chefs” so we had three chefs with us explaining food in the Mediterranean region.  The lunch was participatory and had demonstrations by local restauranteurs.  The only thing I wish I had done, if I had more time in Madeira, would be to take time and space for photography because I feel that I missed so many great photos along the way.

We got back to the boat for a class and tasting experience for Medeiran cuisine, but I had ‘hit my wall’ and needed to rest, but the others enjoyed the time, I think.

The ship just departed, so I am sitting on the deck with Carrie enjoying a diet coke and watching Madeira fall away behind the ship.

blessings & peace,


No comments:

Post a Comment