Saturday, February 11, 2012

My Wife is Sometimes Right, but don't tell her so!



Alright, sometimes I'm willing to admit when my wife is right and I'm not.  This maybe one of those cases.  Carrie says I've been doing too much blogging.  She may be right, but I have a lot on my mind (less in my head, technically, but more on my mind), so you may have to put up with me a while longer.

Today I've been thinking about my luck this week.  Not just luck, though.  I've been thinking about my blessings.  I've slowly been learning about what happened during my surgery and in the time after (which with the anesthesia, I don't remember, either).

A surgery that was only supposed to last 4-6 hours went for almost 10.  During that time I had family sitting together, surrounding one another and showing love for me that I didn't even know about in the moment.  My mother, father, and sister never once left the hospital, only taking short breaks to the cafeteria.  Since my wife has so many St. Louis friends, having been raised there, her friends and family came and sat with her, bringing her food and support throughout the day and my loving wife never left the waiting room (according to her, I will get some fact-checking done on this :-)

After a surgery that when more than twice as long as expected, we can expect that they had been thorough. I'm sure they were, but a new state-of-the-art intraoperative MRI was the real blessing, I guess.  While I was still on the operating table, the surgeon did a new scan and found tissue that still needed to be removed and the surgery continued in order to be sure that it was done right the first time.

So far, I'm already amazed at the care and love that has been shown to me, but there is more.  With every wearying visit, with all the amazing notes through twitter, facebook and comments on my blog...and with the letters that have already found their way to my in-laws house...  I see the blessings around me in all kinds of new ways.

It's too bad that we wait for these moments in order to notice our blessings, isn't it?  God fills our lives with continue blessings:  people who care, love being shown, and moments of health and care.  I hope that we will all set aside our cynicism and concerns in life in order to pay more attention to the joys that are right before us.  I hope that we will see the people who surround us in love.  I hope that we will feel healing, even in the midst of pain.  I hope that we can appreciate the small thoughtful things that loved ones do rather than over look them or expect more!

May my week of blessing, shed some light on all of our blessings this week and give us hope and peace for next week!!!

blessings,




No comments:

Post a Comment